The Social Business (Social Enterprise) Moves Beyond The 18 Use Cases Of Social CRM
As social media adoption continues to move from mainstream to pervasive ubiquity, enterprises will begin to benefit from these advancements in the consumerization of IT (CoIT). Just 18 months ago, early adopters identified 18 Use Cases for Social CRM (SCRM). These ground breaking use cases showed enterprises how to bring social into existing CRM processes.
Consequently, the market has moved on beyond just marketing, service, and support use cases. In the latest Software Insider “State of Social Business” survey, 103 respondents identified 25 additional use cases that spanned across key enterprise business processes that impact eight key functional areas, from external facing to internal facing (see Figure 1):
- Public relations/ marketing (PR/MA). Key impacted business process: Campaign to lead
- Sales (SFA). Key impacted business process: Lead to deal
- Service and support (CSS). Key impacted business process: Incident to resolution
- Projects (PBS). Key impacted business process: Kickoff to delivery
- Innovation/ product life cycle management (PLM). Key impacted business process: Concept to production
- Supply chain (SCM). Key impacted business process: Sourcing to acceptance
- Human capital management (HCM). Key impacted business process: Hire to retire
- Finance. Key impacted business process: Invoice to payment
Figure 1. Constellation Defines 43 Social Business/ Social Enterprise Use Cases and 24 Key Analytics
(Hint: right click to expand and view the full image)
Early Adopters Identify HCM And Projects As The Next Growth Area For Social Business
Survey respondents chose their top 3 internal collaboration and external engagement social business use cases (see Figure 2). Not surprisingly, service/support use cases led the pack with Reactive support-External (68.9%) and Support escalation and resolution – External (64.1%). Lead generation – External in the PR Marketing category rounded out the top 3 at (63.1%). Meanwhile, Projects and HCM gain traction among the top 5 use cases. Respondents report an increase in adoption of Projects Workspaces- Internal (36.9%) such as wiki’s and similar internal collaboration tools. Meanwhile, HCM Recruiting – External (34.0%) emerged as the fifth most utilized use case.