Age Is Not The Deciding Factor In Five Generations Of Workers
When discussing the future of work, most folks immediately jump to the discussion of millennials, generation Y, generation X, baby boomers, post war, etc. However, the shift to digital business finds a different type of five generations. This segmentation describes how digitally proficient people are with digital technologies and culture. Constellation sees five generations (see Figure 1):
- Digital natives – people who grew up with the internet, comfortable in engaging in all digital channels.
- Digital immigrants - people who have crossed the chasm to the digital world, forced into engagement in digital channels.
- Digital voyeurs – people who recognize the shift to digital, observing from an arms length distance.
- Digital holdouts – people who resist the shift to digital, ignoring the impact.
- Digital disengaged – people who give up on digital, obsessed with erasing digital exhaust.
Figure 1. Five Generations Of Workers With Different Expectations And Values
Source: R Wang, Insider Associates, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
The Bottom Line: Build Journey Maps For The Five Generations Of Digital Workers
Where you work, when you work, how you work, what you work on, and why you work have been disrupted in this digital world. These five generations of workers have different people centric values that More…