Organizations Move Beyond The Post-Digital Era
I am consciously scaring you into existence. The disruption ahead is not a fantasy. When I founded Constellation Research and then wrote the best-selling book, Disrupting Digital Business, we stood at the dawn of a major shift in business models and disruptive technologies that powered what we coined digital transformation in 2008. This powerful business force not only toppled companies who failed to adapt, but also provided opportunities for market changing innovations. As board rooms stood in fear of well-funded startups intent to disrupt their business models, check books opened up to stem the digital threat.
What transpired for a few early pioneers was a sustained wave of top down investments in innovation around digital transformation. These new yet rarified digital businesses created not only a digital divide, but also sowed the seeds of an accelerated winner takes all market.
Unfortunately most organizations invested too little, too late, and too infrequently.
Extreme EBITDA and Short-Termism Slowly Killing Every Company
How could this happen despite the rhetoric and dire warnings? At precisely the wrong time, when they should have stepped up to invest to defend against this threat, most leaders pulled back to harvest. Even worse, most organization’s shareholders bet against them by stripping away their ability to invest and innovate for the long run with stock buy backs, share dividends, and a plethora of mergers and acquisitions.
In fact, this starvation of capital and focus on short-term profits resulted in disruption by non-traditional competitors and a wave of shitty short term financially focused decisions over a series of business cycles. Once high flying companies and major brands rapidly fell into the circular cesspit of financial engineering as they lost their ability to innovate along the life cycle of organizations.
Meanwhile greedy management teams fell into cahoots with short term minded shareholders and activist investors pilfering away precious investment capital to meet extreme EBITDA and achieve their bonuses for delivering “shareholder” value. This focus on extreme EBITDA and short-termism at the expense of long term organizational success enabled non-traditional competitors to disrupt traditional businesses. More incredulous, the disruptive startups were funded by shareholders from the profits stripped away from legacy businesses who were not trusted with innovation.
Data-driven Digital Networks (DDNs) Power Digital Duopolies
Fast forward to the present and more than a decade after the concept of digital transformation, Disrupting Digital represents just the beginning of this movement. As the network effects of these models surpasses 100’s of millions of users into the billions, data driven digital networks or DDNs emerge to discover, capture, harness, and deploy insights from data. These super valued, highly coveted, and curated data powers next best actions and crafts precision decisions.
Building a DDN is not easy. The investment to create these DDNs require massive compute power, large networks of engaged users, artificial intelligence, value exchange market places, and billions in capital investment. Due to the high complexity and barriers of entry, only a few players can form these data-driven digital networks.
In fact, we can expect 100 players in 50 distinct network of networks representing more than 70% of global GDP to emerge. These players will be constrained by industries, value chains, geographies, and market size over the next two decades. We see at least two players in each market with the first proactive player benefiting from a first mover advantage taking more than 50% of the total addressable market (TAM) and a reactionary second player taking 20 to 25% of the TAM. These new digital duopolies will dominate these networks.
Digital Duopolies Create The Ultimate Networks of Networks
While very few organizations can see the rise of digital duopolies today, these models will be powered by those who have access to patient capital pools. Accelerated by exponential technologies and a long term focus, they prey on the inability by most organizations and brands to invest and accelerate their innovation and transformation efforts.
Digital duopolies will build vertically integrated data aggregation models that use AI to uncover new insights that improve customer experience, streamline operations, forecast success of a new product launch, and identify a competitor’s weakness. Systematically, each sub component of a value chain will build on each component’s network effect by driving down the cost to increase active users, revenue per user, and time spent.
The DNA of these Digital Duopolies will require mastery of leadership and orchestration through a growth agenda, profit motive, smart financing, innovation bent, and benevolent dictatorship governance. Winners must aggregate capital, talent, and curated data. Digital duopolies will proliferate to efficiently aggregate precious investment dollars at scale.
Every Organization Has Three Choices – Build, Partner, Or Join
With that in mind, brands and organizations must muster the resources, will power, and ingenuity to create, participate, and partner in these data driven digital networks. These networks of networks will exponentially gain influence as they aggregate the data required to power AI driven smart services. Digital duopolies will also craft an emotional appeal that transcends the brand and reflects a bigger movement. We will move from delivering on brand promises to activating movements.
Thus, organizations around the world will have to determine how they will participate in a world of data driven digital networks. Most will move to partner and jointly invest, some will attempt to create their own digital duopolies, and a few will orchestrate the digital duopolies. Investors must identify which players to bet on across the value chain.
Extreme Capitalism Emerges As Massive Efficiencies Reduce Competition
While the massive rise of digital duopolies will foster the next wave of disruption, they will also leave a path of destruction. Why? Digital duopolies will usher a wave of super efficient yet extreme capitalism. The maximization of operational efficiencies and frictionless transactions will eliminate most non-value added individuals, processes, and regulations. What lies ahead will mean the exponential reduction of jobs, decreased market competition, and a failure of the free market as we know it.
In order to enable sustainable capitalism, we must advocate that private enterprise, public sector and philanthropic institutions properly secure and fund the critical infrastructure required to ensure a democratized, fair and free market. This may require the establishment of open technology standards, access rights, and rules on personal data ownership.
Non-profits and industry coalitions must play a key role in serving as the equalizer in enabling competition against digital duopolies. Sovereign wealth funds and non-profit foundations may play a role in ensuring both policy and practice enables a fair playing field.
The race is on to see who leads in this winner takes all future for 50 distinct markets and what society will do to ensure a free, open, and fair market.
Ready for extreme capitalism? Will you build, partner, or participate in your digital duopoly. Have you put in your steps towards building a data-driven digital network
I’m collecting case studies over the summer and examples to show the dawn of these digital duopolies, drop me a line if you’ve got an example i can showcase in the book.
Please let us know if you need help with your Digital Business transformation efforts. Here’s how we can assist:
- Developing your digital business strategy
- Connecting with other pioneers
- Sharing best practices
- Vendor selection
- Implementation partner selection
- Providing contract negotiations and software licensing support
- Demystifying software licensing
Reprints can be purchased through Constellation Research, Inc. To request official reprints in PDF format, please contact Sales .
Resources And Related Research
- Event Report: Oracle ERP Cloud Gains Traction Among Customer Base And Net New Enterprises March 21, 2019
- Event Report: Epicor Demonstrates New Chapter For Cloud ERP And Mid-Market Solutions at #EpicorInsights19 April 21, 2019
- Event Report: Apple Formally Launches Services Strategy #AppleEvent March 25, 2019
- Event Report: #Think2019 Showcases IBM’s Shift Back From Software To Services February 13, 2019
- Event Report: #WEF19 #Davos2019 Globalization 4.0 Under Fire As Global Leaders Fail The Populace January 22, 2019
- Research Report: Improving Go-to-Market Results with Constellation’s ACF January 16, 2019
- Event Report: Retailers Navigate Exponential Tech Amidst New Business Model Shifts #NRF2019 January 16, 2019
- Trends: Constellation 2018 Enterprise Awards January 3, 2019
- Monday’s Musings: What’s Up With Big Tech Stocks? The Insider View For 2019 December 24, 2018
- Big Idea: December 10th, The Future Of The Internet And Human Rights In A Digital Age November 26, 2018
- Event Report: @GCPCloud A Few Steps Closer To Enterprise Ready #GoogleNext18 July 27, 2018
- Best Practices: Seven Steps To Success In Enterprise Blockchain June 21, 2018
- News Analysis: Adobe Completes Campaign To Commerce With $1.68B Magento Acquisition May 22, 2018
- Event Report: @ServiceNow Transforms From #ITSM To Experience Orchestration #know18 May 10, 2018
- Monday’s Musings: Seven Common Failures Plague Board Room Strategy In Digital Transformation May 7, 2018
- Monday’s Musings: Designing Five Pillars For Level 1 Artificial Intelligence Ethics March 26, 2018
- Digital Transformation Digest: Amazon AR View For Android, SAP Leonardo In Telecom and Cars, MIT AI Chip Makes Neural Networks Mobile February 27, 2018
- Digital Transformation Digest: Mobile World Congress and 5G, Samsung Galaxy S9 and Google Assistant Gets A Boost February 26, 2018
- Event Report: Microsoft Biz Apps Analyst Day Highlights Strategic Transformation #MSBizApps February 14, 2018
- Digital Transformation Digest: Oracle Bets Big On Cloud, Eye On Amazon Domination, and New Investments In Enterprise Tech February 13, 2018
- Digital Transformation Digest: Arizona Accepts Crypto For Tax, Google Rumored With iMessage Competitor, HomePods Sound Good February 12, 2018
- Research Report: Constellation’s Futurist Framework (PESTEL) – The Societal Outlook Pre @Davos #WEF18 January 18, 2018
- Research Report: Constellation’s Futurist Framework (PESTEL) – The Economic Outlook Pre @Davos #WEF18 January 17, 2018
- Research Report: Constellation’s Futurist Framework (PESTEL) – The Political Outlook Pre @Davos #WEF18 January 16, 2018
- Monday’s Musings: Want AI Ethics? Learn From These Four Movies/TV Shows! December 3, 2017
- Research Report: What’s Top Of Mind From SAP Customers December 19, 2017
- Research Report: Demystifying Artificial Intelligence November 16, 2017
- Personal Log: What I’m Thankful For This Year November 23, 2017
- Monday’s Musing: Infinite Ambient Orchestration November 6, 2017
- Tuesday’s Tip: Know When To Automate With Artificial Intelligence September 19, 2017
- Personal Log: Congratulations To Constellation’s BT-150 Winners #BT150 September 6, 2017
- Event Invitation: Radical Candor Author Kim Scott Delivering Keynote at Connected Enterprise 2017 August 29, 2017
- Monday’s Musings: Part 1 of 4 – What Top CMO’s Care About (Demand Gen Persona) August 28, 2017
- Research Summary: Constellation ShortList™ Integration Platform as a Service (IPaaS) August 13, 2017
- Research Summary: Constellation ShortList™ Synchronous Ledger and Blockchain Platforms August 13, 2017
- Event Report: FinancialForce #FFComm17 June 22, 2017
- Research Summary: The Future of Customer Experience (CX) is Orchestrated Engagement June 15, 2017
- Research Summary: Nine Starting Points For Digital Transformation In Manufacturing May 10, 2017
- Research Summary: Artificial Intelligence Delivers Mass Personalization In Commerce April 17, 2017
- Research Summary: How Ensono Used Workday Finance And HR Cloud To Innovate And Save Money April 12, 2017
- Event Report: NASSCOM #NILF17 Highlights Need For Re-Skilling And Move Beyond Trump February 18, 2017
- Personal Log: Leading CXO Influencer, Dion Hinchcliffe (@dhinchcliffe) Joins Constellation Research April 3, 2017
- Event Report: #GoogleNext17 On Path To Enterprise Ready March 9, 2017
- Tuesday’s Tip: Seven Universal Factors Why Technology Firms Fail January 10, 2017
- Monday’s Musings: Dynamic Leadership – A Responsive And Responsible Approach #Davos #WEF17 January 2, 2017
- Monday’s Musings: Why A Bi-Modal Approach to Digital Transformation Is Just Stupid December 12, 2016
- Monday’s Musings: Secrets Behind Building Any AI Driven Smart Service November 28, 2016
- Trends: Five Data Center Trends For 2017 November 12, 2016
- News Analysis: America In An @RealDonaldTrump Era – Everything International Clients Need To Know PESTEL Part 1. November 10, 2016
- Research Summary: Constellation’s AstroChart For Business Trends, Q4 2016 October 18, 2016
- Research Summary: Constellation’s AstroChart For Tech Trends October 17, 2016
- News Analysis: @Adobe @Microsoft Partner Up For Marketing Cloud, Azure and #AI #MSIgnite September 26, 2016
- Monday’s Musings: Understand The Spectrum Of Seven Artificial Intelligence Outcomes September 18, 2016
- Tuesday’s Tip: Seven Factors For Precision Decisions In Artificial Intelligence August 23, 2016
- Research Summary: Samsung Galaxy Note7 More Enterprise-Ready Than Ever August 16, 2016
- Monday’s Musings: CXOs Seek Enterprise-Grade Mobile Solutions Despite Seven Barriers August 16, 2016
- Research Summary: [VIDEO] Inside Constellation’s Futurist Framework August 9, 2016
- Research Summary: Infor Partners with Clients to Deliver on Digital Transformation August 4, 2016
- News Analysis: Plex Adds Supply Chain Planning With DemandCaster Acquisition August 9, 2016
- News Analysis: Oracle’s $9.3B Acquisition Of Netsuite Is About Cloud Consolidation July 28, 2016
- Best Practices: Five Critical Success Factors To Digital Transformation July 10, 2016
- Monday’s Musings: The Post #BREXIT Analysis, What’s Next? June 27, 2016
- Research Summary: Workday Release 26 Beefs Up Cloud Software for Financial Management June 9, 2016
- Personal Log: Pulse Shootings And The State Of America June 12, 2016
- News Analysis: Acquisition Brings Salesforce Customers To The Commerce Party June 3, 2016
- Monday’s Musings: Data – The Foundation Of Real-Time Digital Business May 23, 2016
- Research Summary: The Algorithm of You – How IoT Transforms and Differentiates Customer Experience May 12, 2016
- Research Summary: HOLMES Puts Wipro in the Forefront of Cognitive Computing May 10, 2016
- Research Summary: Why Live Engagement Marketing Supercharges Event Marketing May 6, 2016
- Research Summary: Reltio Powers Data-Driven Applications on a Modern Platform-as-a-Service May 4, 2016
- Research Summary: SAP User Experience-as-a-Service April 27, 2016
- Research Summary: How Shaw Used NetSuite To Create Two-Tier ERP March 21, 2016
- Research Summary: FinancialForce Spring Release Shows Innovation In Personalization And Collaboration March 1, 2016
- Monday’s Musings: Why Digital Transformation Must Move Beyond The Hiring Of A Chief Digital Officer April 25, 2016
- Monday’s Musings: The Four Personas Of The Modern CMO In A Digital World April 11, 2016
- Event Report: Business Transformation Top Of Mind For Microsoft Envision #ENV16 Attendees April 7, 2016
- Event Report: A New Platform For The Digital Economy #Davos16 #WEF January 28, 2016
- Event Report: The Transformation of Finance #Davos16 #WEF January 28, 2016
- Event Report: The Future Of Jobs From #Davos16 #WEF January 20, 2016
- Event Report: The @Wipro @FT Dinner, Man vs Machine, Does It Have To Be Either/Or? #Davos2016 #WEF #WEFTalks January 19, 2016
- Event Report: The Weekend Before Davos And The Dawn Of The Fourth Industrial Revolution January 16, 2016
- News Analysis: In Search Of Growth Amidst Digital Disruption January 8, 2016
- News Analysis: SAP User Base In The UK and Ireland Ready For Digital Transformation But Organizations Remain Cautious Of Vendor Claims To Assist November 24, 2015
- Monday’s Musings: Reflecting On Five Years Of Disrupting The Industry Analyst Business November 16, 2015
- Monday’s Musings: Avoiding Cloud Vendor Lock-In October 25, 2015
- Monday’s Musings: Dealing With The Startup Who Went Public And Is Now Arrogant As Hell October 11, 2015
- Event Report: @AirWatch #AWConnect 2015 Shows Shift From EMM To Platform September 23, 2015
- Tuesday’s Tip: IOT and The Death Of OmniChannel Non-sense In Customer Experience September 22, 2015
- Event Invitation: Webinar on The American Eagle Story- Competing On Experiences And Outcomes In A Mobile World September 15, 2015
- Event Invitation: Webinar on Building Win-Win Relationships With Oracle September 12, 2015
- Event Invitation: Tweet Chat on Managing #ShadowIT September 6, 2015
- News Analysis: @Cisco and @Apple Team Up At #GSX August 31, 2015
- Event Invitation: Come Join Us For A Silicon Valley CXO Day At Constellation’s Connected Enterprise #CCE2015 August 26, 2015
- News Analysis: @Infosys Announces Three New Service Lines #AiKiDō August 20, 2015
- News Analysis: @Oracle Announces Agreement To Acquire Marketing Cloud A/B Testing Firm @Maxymiser August 20, 2015
- News Analysis: @Infor Acquires @GTNexus for $675M August 11, 2015
- News Analysis: Inside Alphabet – G Is For Google August 10, 2015
- News Analysis: Infosys One-Year After Vishal Sikka August 4, 2015
- Event Report: Sage Summit 2015 Shows A Refocus On The Future Of The SMB Customer July 29, 2015
- News Analysis: Inside The Rationale Behind @LinkedIn Turning Off Its CSV Connections Download Tool July 25, 2015
- News Analysis: How @LinkedIn Is Creating A Personal Data Hostage Crisis For Its Users July 25, 2015
- Tuesday’s Tip: Apply For A SuperNova Award – Recognize Leaders In Digital Business July 21, 2015
- Book Summary: Lesson 10 From Disrupting Digital Business – Segment By Digital Proficiency Not Age July 12, 2015
- Book Summary: Lesson 9 From Disrupting Digital Business – Deliver Intention Driven, Mass Personalization At Scale July 2, 2015
- Book Summary: Lesson 8 From Disrupting Digital Business – Democratize Distribution With P2P Networks June 22, 2015
- Webinar Invite: Delivering on Continuity – The Future of Marketing June 15, 2015
- Book Summary: Lesson 7 From Disrupting Digital Business – Humanize Digital With Digital Artisans June 14, 2015
- Book Summary: Lesson 6 From Disrupting Digital Business – Win With Network Economies June 10, 2015
Although we work closely with many mega software vendors, we want you to trust us. For the full disclosure policy,stay tuned for the full client list on the Constellation Research website. * Not responsible for any factual errors or omissions. However, happy to correct any errors upon email receipt.
Constellation Research recommends that readers consult a stock professional for their investment guidance. Investors should understand the potential conflicts of interest analysts might face. Constellation does not underwrite or own the securities of the companies the analysts cover. Analysts themselves sometimes own stocks in the companies they cover—either directly or indirectly, such as through employee stock-purchase pools in which they and their colleagues participate.
As a general matter, investors should not rely solely on an analyst’s recommendation when deciding whether to buy, hold, or sell a stock. Instead, they should also do their own research—such as reading the prospectus for new companies or for public companies, the quarterly and annual reports filed with the SEC—to confirm whether a particular investment is appropriate for them in light of their individual financial circumstances.
Copyright © 2001 – 2019 R Wang and Insider Associates, LLC All rights reserved.
Contact the Sales team to purchase this report on a a la carte basis or join the Constellation Executive Network