A New CEO Brings A New Outlook To Sage
Over 7000 people waded through the humidity of New Orleans in July to hear what the new CEO Stephen Kelly had in mind for Sage. Over the past three years, Sage has faced changes in product road maps, leadership changes, and partner programs. As the company refocuses back to its core mission of serving the small and medium sized businesses, customers left with a stronger impression that the organization may be headed in the right direction. Five key points anchor the new strategy (see Video 1):
- Golden triangle of accounting, payroll, and payments drive the core. 1:1 conversations with CTO Himanshu Palsule confirmed that a significant technology investment is going to revitalizing accounting, payroll, and payments. In demos during the keynote, users could sense the innovation and emphasis on mobile, analytics, and the future of digital business models.
Point of view (POV): The recent investment to rationalize product lines, centralize development, and streamline innovation is key to Sage’s revitalization. Partners remain miffed on which platforms in the cloud (i.e. Amazon, Salesforce, Microsoft) will win and which platform will emerge as the winner, but the re emphasis on innovation has reassured concerned partners about the future of Sage’s product road map for now.
- Payments embedded everywhere. In speaking with Paul Bridgewater, CEO of Sage Payment Solutions, he reemphasized the integration of payments throughout the Sage franchise. Paul confirmed the efforts to embed payments throughout the golden triangle.
(POV): In discussions with customers, many applauded the announced integration to Magento. In Constellation’s conversations with SMBs, the ability to complete commerce and go direct to customers remains a key priority for 2015 to 2016 initiatives.
- Death of ERP and arrival of Sage X3 Cloud. Early in the Day 1 keynote, CEO Stephen Kelly declared the death of ERP and a new cloud product arrival. The introduction of an the new Sage X3 Cloud brings all the on-premises functionality to a cloud deployment option for customers.
(POV): By taking the moniker of ERP out of the product names, the intent is to distance the software vendor from the failings of ERP and the association with legacy software. In addition, Industry observers have wondered when Sage would bring the full suite into the cloud. The announcement and launch showed the commitment to cloud that Sage has made but also reemphasized the challenges faced in making a full transition. Early customer sentiment shows an excitement of what the cloud can do to help lead digital transformation.
- Choice of deployment options. CEO Stephen Kelly publicly acclaimed his love for on-premises, hybrid, and cloud all at once. Sage made a commitment to support all deployment approaches for its products.
(POV): An informal survey of 71 customers indicate broad support for multiple deployment options. Customers expected their maintenance dollars to fund innovation to enable on-premises as well as cloud transition at their own pace. In general, Constellation believes that choice in deployment is key to a customer’s list of requirements.
- Re brand and re-launch of Sage Live. Built on the salesforce 1 platform, Sage Live brings the Sage accounting platform onto the Salesforce platform. The solution takes advantage of the full salesforce platform with analytics, collaboration, and mobile capabilities available to customers and partners.
(POV): Constellation believes this is a smart move to bring financials at the SMB level and the power of the Salesforce ecosystem to create new products and spawn greater partner innovation. As a technology company, Constellation does find it a bit strange that Sage did not deliver this capability on its own platform and chose to partner instead of build.
Vide1 1. Live Update On The Sage Summit Event
The Bottom Line: Change Is In The Air
Sage customers have seen the changes over the past two to three years as the software vendor makes the transition to the cloud as well as to new business models. As a key technology partner for small and medium sized businesses, the new outlook is refreshing. As Sage makes a continued reinvestment in new technologies for accounting, payments, and payroll, customers should push hard to make sure that delivery of the new products meets the new requirements to run a digital business and that Sage remains focused on innovation with the maintenance dollars customers have entrusted with them. Overall the outlook has improved, but there is more work ahead. How Sage executes in the next 24 months will determine whether or not Sage will grow into the next transition or not.
Are you ready to try out the new Sage products? Do you think there’s real change or this is just cosmetic? If you are a partner, what do you think?
Please let us know if you need help with your Digital Business transformation efforts. Here’s how we can assist:
- Developing your digital business strategy
- Connecting with other pioneers
- Sharing best practices
- Vendor selection
- Implementation partner selection
- Providing contract negotiations and software licensing support
- Demystifying software licensing
- News Analysis: Inside The Rationale Behind @LinkedIn Turning Off Its CSV Connections Download Tool July 25, 2015
- News Analysis: How @LinkedIn Is Creating A Personal Data Hostage Crisis For Its Users July 25, 2015
- Tuesday’s Tip: Apply For A SuperNova Award – Recognize Leaders In Digital Business July 21, 2015
- Book Summary: Lesson 10 From Disrupting Digital Business – Segment By Digital Proficiency Not Age July 12, 2015
- Book Summary: Lesson 9 From Disrupting Digital Business – Deliver Intention Driven, Mass Personalization At Scale July 2, 2015
- Book Summary: Lesson 8 From Disrupting Digital Business – Democratize Distribution With P2P Networks June 22, 2015
- Webinar Invite: Delivering on Continuity – The Future of Marketing June 15, 2015
- Book Summary: Lesson 7 From Disrupting Digital Business – Humanize Digital With Digital Artisans June 14, 2015
- Book Summary: Lesson 6 From Disrupting Digital Business – Win With Network Economies June 10, 2015
- Product Review: Two Apple Watch Enterprise Apps Launched With IMS Health Life Sciences Wearable Platform June 7, 2015
- Event Report: Zuora’s #Subscribed15 Shows How Organizations Can Power Their Digital Transformation Initiatives May 31, 2015
- Book Summary: Lesson 5 From Disrupting Digital Business – Build For Insight Streams May 31, 2015
- Book Summary: Lesson 4 From Disrupting Digital Business – Know That Data Is The Foundation May 25, 2015
- Book Summary: Lesson 3 From Disrupting Digital Business – Sell The Smallest Unit You Can May 17, 2015
- Webinar Invite: Disrupting Digital Business – The Customer Experience Imperative May 16, 2015
- Quips: Networked Economy Models Emerge Should Verizon Gain Approval To Acquire AOL May 12, 2015
- Book Summary: Lesson 2 From Disrupting Digital Business – Keep Brand Promises In An Attention Economy May 10, 2015
- Research Summary: The Correct Way to Use Customer Data May 6, 2015
- Event Report: Insights Into The New NetSuite At SuiteWorld 2015 May 9, 2015
- Book Summary: Lesson 1 From Disrupting Digital Business May 3, 2015
- Personal Log: Read Chapter One of Disrupting Digital Business April 22, 2015
- Press Release: Registration Opens for Inaugural Constellation Digital Disruption Tour April 16, 2015
- Quips: The Long Tail On Intel’s Latest Earnings April 14, 2015
- Event Report: Inside The Apple #SpringForward Event
- Event Report: Inside the #SXSW2015 Phenom – Meerkat
- Personal Log: Our Alliance With Digital Clarity Group
- Research Report: Enterprise Healthcare Management (EHM) – Healthcare Meets Analytics
- News Analysis: Rumors On Apple’s Foray Into Cars “Project Titan”
- News Analysis: Inside the First Industry-Specific Mobile Apps by the IBM MobileFirst for Apple iOS Partnership
- News Analysis: Going Deeper Into The Apple And IBM New Business Model Alliance
- Quips: Digital Transformation – Defining The Fundamental Elements For Digital CXOs
- Personal Log: Coming soon! Disrupting Digital Business – The Book
- News Analysis: Adobe EchoSign’s Electronic Signatures Goes 100% Mobile
- Monday’s Musings: Who Gets To Be A Chief Digital Officer?
- Monday’s Musings: The Seven Rules For Digital Business And Digital Transformation
- Tuesday’s Tip: Five Steps To Starting Your Digital Transformation Initiative
- Monday’s Musings: What Organizations Want From Mobile
- Research Summary: Economic Trends Exacerbate Digital Business Disruption And Digital Transformation (The Futurist Framework Part 3)
- Research Summary: Five Societal Shifts Showcase The Digital Divide Ahead (The Futurist Framework Part 2)
- Research Summary: Sneak Peaks From Constellation’s Futurist Framework And 2014 Outlook On Digital Disruption
- Research Report: Digital ARTISANs – The Seven Building Blocks Behind Building A Digital Business DNA
- Research Summary: Five Societal Shifts Showcase The Digital Divide Ahead (The Futurist Framework Part 2)
- Research Summary: Next Generation CIOs Aspire To Focus More On Innovation And The Chief Digital Officer Role
- Trends: [VIDEO] The Digital Business Disruption Ahead Preview – NASSCOM India Leadership Forum (#NASSCOM_ILF)
- News Analysis: New #IBMWatson Business Group Heralds The Commercialization Of Cognitive Computing. Ready For Augmented Humanity?
- Harvard Business Review: What a Big Data Business Model Looks Like
- Monday’s Musings: How The Five Consumer Tech Macro Pillars Influence Enterprise Software Innovation
- Tuesday’s Tip: Understand The Five Generation Of Digital Workers And Customers
- Monday’s Musings: The Chief Digital Officer In The Age Of Digital Business
- Slide Share: The CMO vs CIO – Pathways To Collaboration
- Event Report: CRM Evolution 2013 – Seven Trends In The Return To Digital Business And Customer Centricity
- News Analysis: Sitecore Acquires Commerce Server In Quest Towards Customer Experience Management
- News Analysis: Salesforce 1 Signals Support For Digital Business at #DF13
- Research Summary And Speaker Notes: The Identity Manifesto – Why Identity Is At The Heart of Digital Business
Reprints can be purchased through Constellation Research, Inc. To request official reprints in PDF format, please contact Sales .
Although we work closely with many mega software vendors, we want you to trust us. For the full disclosure policy,stay tuned for the full client list on the Constellation Research website.
* Not responsible for any factual errors or omissions. However, happy to correct any errors upon email receipt.
Copyright © 2001 -2015 R Wang and Insider Associates, LLC All rights reserved.
Contact the Sales team to purchase this report on a a la carte basis or join the Constellation Customer Experience