The Shift From Apologetic Regulatory To A FinTech Transformation
While the regulatory pressures have not subsided for the financial sector, concerns mount legacy financial and insurance providers as fin tech startups disrupt the existing landscape. The transformation of finance panel included insights from one mature disruptor among the panelists of traditional financial services providers (see Figure 1):
Figure 1. The Transformation Of Finance Panel
- John Cryan, Co-CEO, Deutsche Bank AG
- James P. Gorman, Chairman and CEO of Morgan Stanley
- Tom de Swaan, Chairman of the Board and Group CEO ad Interim of Zurich Insurance Group
- Christine LaGarde, Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund
- Dan Schulman, CEO of Paypal Inc.
- Gillian R. Tett, Managing Editor in the US of Financial Times
Key takeaways from the panel include:
- Fintech startups will continue to drive innovation. Traditional institutions must learn to embrace the innovation or face stiff disruption. The goal should be to embrace the innovation to win and no just take a defensive stance.
- Block chain tech is nascent but has huge potential. While the amount in crypto currencies is at $7B US dollars, this represents a fraction of the $12T of US dollars in the overall money supply (M2). Block chain tech will emerge to encompass more than just payments and incorporate digital identity, orchestration, and security.
- Financial service firms still fighting the regulatory requirements war. Regulatory environments around the world remain overbearing. Regulatory environments will dictate how banks behave and the amount of profits achieved.
- Panelists feel cash will be history in 10 years. Bankers see cash as inefficient and untraceable. Consumers will have to fight hard to ensure that an anonymous payment mechanism remains or face a trespass of privacy despite the digitization of money.
- Financial services institutions hoping to remove as much human interaction as possible. Machine learning and artificial intelligence will play a role in automating human interactions. Financial services firms seek a reduction in labor force while augmenting human decisions for those that remain.
The Bottom Line: Business Models Will Change As Legacy Institutions Face Challenges From New Disruptive Technologies
Despite the huge regulatory burden since the Lehman Brothers crisis, the financial services market shows signs of optimization among the innovations emerging from fintech startups. The combination of IOT, robotics, artificial intelligence, and block chain tech provide the foundation for the next transformation in finance. (see Figure 2). As digitization continues, expect the greatest changes to come from a shift in how regulators will approach innovations. Sandboxes and consumer led disruptions may ultimately influence regulators.
Figure 2. Constellation’s 2016 Disruptive Technologies
Where do you see the future of jobs? Should we aim for decreasing populations to improve quality per capita? What are your questions from the report?
Please let us know if you need help with your Digital Business transformation efforts. Here’s how we can assist:
- Developing your digital business strategy
- Connecting with other pioneers
- Sharing best practices
- Vendor selection
- Implementation partner selection
- Providing contract negotiations and software licensing support
- Demystifying software licensing
- Event Report: The @Wipro @FT Dinner, Man vs Machine, Does It Have To Be Either/Or? #Davos2016 #WEF #WEFTalks
- Event Report: The Weekend Before Davos And The Dawn Of The Fourth Industrial Revolution
- News Analysis: In Search Of Growth Amidst Digital Disruption
- Monday’s Musings: Who Gets To Be A Chief Digital Officer?
- Monday’s Musings: The Seven Rules For Digital Business And Digital Transformation
- Tuesday’s Tip: Five Steps To Starting Your Digital Transformation Initiative
- Monday’s Musings: What Organizations Want From Mobile
- Research Summary: Economic Trends Exacerbate Digital Business Disruption And Digital Transformation (The Futurist Framework Part 3)
- Research Summary: Five Societal Shifts Showcase The Digital Divide Ahead (The Futurist Framework Part 2)
- Research Summary: Sneak Peaks From Constellation’s Futurist Framework And 2014 Outlook On Digital Disruption
- Research Report: Digital ARTISANs – The Seven Building Blocks Behind Building A Digital Business DNA
- Research Summary: Next Generation CIOs Aspire To Focus More On Innovation And The Chief Digital Officer Role
- Trends: [VIDEO] The Digital Business Disruption Ahead Preview – NASSCOM India Leadership Forum (#NASSCOM_ILF)
- News Analysis: New #IBMWatson Business Group Heralds The Commercialization Of Cognitive Computing. Ready For Augmented Humanity?
- Harvard Business Review: What a Big Data Business Model Looks Like
- Monday’s Musings: How The Five Consumer Tech Macro Pillars Influence Enterprise Software Innovation
- Tuesday’s Tip: Understand The Five Generation Of Digital Workers And Customers
- Monday’s Musings: The Chief Digital Officer In The Age Of Digital Business
- Slide Share: The CMO vs CIO – Pathways To Collaboration
- Event Report: CRM Evolution 2013 – Seven Trends In The Return To Digital Business And Customer Centricity
- News Analysis: Sitecore Acquires Commerce Server In Quest Towards Customer Experience Management
- News Analysis: Salesforce 1 Signals Support For Digital Business at #DF13
- Research Summary And Speaker Notes: The Identity Manifesto – Why Identity Is At The Heart of Digital Business
Reprints can be purchased through Constellation Research, Inc. To request official reprints in PDF format, please contact Sales .
Although we work closely with many mega software vendors, we want you to trust us. For the full disclosure policy,stay tuned for the full client list on the Constellation Research website.
* Not responsible for any factual errors or omissions. However, happy to correct any errors upon email receipt.
Copyright © 2001 -2016 R Wang and Insider Associates, LLC All rights reserved.
Contact the Sales team to purchase this report on a a la carte basis or join the Constellation Customer Experience