Services Vendors Need To Move Beyond Trump, H1B, and Re-skilling Concerns
Source: Nasscom NILf 17 Keynote On Dynamic Leadership For Digital Transformation
Constellation participated in the 25th edition of Nasscom’s India Leadership Forum 2017 (NILF17) in Mumbai at the Grand Hyatt. Though everyone was here to Reimagine, not Re-engineer , during the off-stage conversations with technology buyers, IT services providers, and the press, the hot topics included:
- Ramifications of a Trump presidency. The media hype created an uncertainty that required clarity. Every conversation started with what do you think President Trump will do? Constellation’s research shows that services providers will see an improved business climate replacing the uncertainty leading into the US presidential election.
Point of view (POV): Constellation believes today’s IT services and BPO providers are well entrenched in the US to be able to weather any “hints” of protectionism. The IT Services industry will not be paralyzed by Trump — it’s in process of trying to imagine what’s next. The Constellation post-election analysis remains solid and can be read here.
- H1-B policies. Concerns over changes in US policy rose to the forefront of every conversation. Almost every IT services provider felt exposed to any potential shifts. The reality is that the global IT services workforce is very competitive with blended off-shore and on-shore delivery models.
(POV): Constellation believes that the US legislative process will adjust to address skills requirements and could potentially increase the number of H1-B visa. Constellation believest hat non-Indian IT services firms will also feel the same pressure as there is very marginal labor arbitrage left among global players. Constellation expects a bigger shift to near shoring by all players.
- Re-skilling requirements of the workforce. Almost every IT services vendor CEO or exec Constellation spoke to openly acknowledged that trends such as AI and robotic process automation will require a reskilling of the workforce.
(POV): Constellation’s research shows that AI will lead to “Augmented Humanity” rather than destroying jobs. Expect repetitive work and labor arbitrage to be replaced by software. However, new work will emerge in creating these new models as well as shifting the labor pool to higher skilled tasks that require faster decision making skills and more human judgment.
In addition to the great conversations with clients, Constellation shared the latest research in a keynote on Responsive & Responsible Approach to Dynamic Leadership for Digital Transformation. On stage with Persistent System’s Mritunjay Singh (ED & President – Services) as the session Chair the session drew a lot of interest in new leadership models. In addition, Constellation moderated a panel flaunting the best possible brand diversity. Panelists included Ajay Arora (MD, D’Decor Home Fabrics Pvt. Ltd.), Alexandra Willis (Head of Communications, Digital & Content, The AELTC, Wimbledon), and Fareed Patel (VP & Head of Global Commercial Platforms, GSK) on Why Customer Experiences trumps communication in a digitally disrupted world.
Meanwhile Constellation also served on 2 TV panels where Digital Trends, and the Future of Outsourcing was discussed with 7 CEOs of tech providers, including the Nasscom President – R Chandrashekhar.
The Bottom Line: IT Services Industry Ripe For Disruption
Despite the overall concern expressed by the media and analysts, few IT services vendor executives openly discusse dthe need for business model transformation in the industry. Constellation’s consistent concern for the IT Services and BPO industry has identified the shrinking pie of traditional business models and the over capacity of too many players crowding the market.
Constellation expects three to five of the large services players to be acquired or merged in order to consolidate and stabilize the market. On one hand, competition within the space has fiercely intensified, and on the other, ISVs and Cloud players are taking away the IT services pie. Both threats will quickly turn into existential ones over the next 24-36 months , and Constellation believes that new business models driven by IP and based on the principals of “Networked Economies”, will define the successful players in IT Services space.
What do you think of your IT services vendor? Do you see them as a strategic partner or just a cost play? Do you plan to co-innovate and co-create with them?
Please let us know if you need help with your Digital Business transformation efforts. Here’s how we can assist:
- Developing your digital business strategy
- Connecting with other pioneers
- Sharing best practices
- Vendor selection
- Implementation partner selection
- Providing contract negotiations and software licensing support
- Demystifying software licensing
- Monday’s Musings: Dynamic Leadership – A Responsive And Responsible Approach #Davos #WEF17
- Monday’s Musings: Why A Bi-Modal Approach to Digital Transformation Is Just Stupid
- Monday’s Musings: Secrets Behind Building Any AI Driven Smart Service
- Trends: Five Data Center Trends For 2017
- News Analysis: America In An @RealDonaldTrump Era – Everything International Clients Need To Know PESTEL Part 1.
- Research Summary: Constellation’s AstroChart For Business Trends, Q4 2016
- Research Summary: Constellation’s AstroChart For Tech Trends
- News Analysis: @Adobe @Microsoft Partner Up For Marketing Cloud, Azure and #AI #MSIgnite
- Monday’s Musings: Understand The Spectrum Of Seven Artificial Intelligence Outcomes
- Tuesday’s Tip: Seven Factors For Precision Decisions In Artificial Intelligence
- Monday’s Musings: Data – The Foundation Of Real-Time Digital Business
- ‘Monday’s Musings: Who Gets To Be A Chief Digital Officer?
- Monday’s Musings: The Seven Rules For Digital Business And Digital Transformation
- Tuesday’s Tip: Five Steps To Starting Your Digital Transformation Initiative
- Monday’s Musings: What Organizations Want From Mobile
- Research Summary: Economic Trends Exacerbate Digital Business Disruption And Digital Transformation (The Futurist Framework Part 3)
- Research Summary: Five Societal Shifts Showcase The Digital Divide Ahead (The Futurist Framework Part 2)
- Research Summary: Sneak Peaks From Constellation’s Futurist Framework And 2014 Outlook On Digital Disruption
- Research Report: Digital ARTISANs – The Seven Building Blocks Behind Building A Digital Business DNA
- Research Summary: Next Generation CIOs Aspire To Focus More On Innovation And The Chief Digital Officer Role
- Trends: [VIDEO] The Digital Business Disruption Ahead Preview – NASSCOM India Leadership Forum (#NASSCOM_ILF)
- News Analysis: New #IBMWatson Business Group Heralds The Commercialization Of Cognitive Computing. Ready For Augmented Humanity?
- Harvard Business Review: What a Big Data Business Model Looks Like
- Monday’s Musings: How The Five Consumer Tech Macro Pillars Influence Enterprise Software Innovation
- Tuesday’s Tip: Understand The Five Generation Of Digital Workers And Customers
- Monday’s Musings: The Chief Digital Officer In The Age Of Digital Business
- Slide Share: The CMO vs CIO – Pathways To Collaboration
- Event Report: CRM Evolution 2013 – Seven Trends In The Return To Digital Business And Customer Centricity
- News Analysis: Sitecore Acquires Commerce Server In Quest Towards Customer Experience Management
- News Analysis: Salesforce 1 Signals Support For Digital Business at #DF13
- Research Summary And Speaker Notes: The Identity Manifesto – Why Identity Is At The Heart of Digital Business
Reprints can be purchased through Constellation Research, Inc. To request official reprints in PDF format, please contact Sales .
Although we work closely with many mega software vendors, we want you to trust us. For the full disclosure policy,stay tuned for the full client list on the Constellation Research website.
* Not responsible for any factual errors or omissions. However, happy to correct any errors upon email receipt.
Copyright © 2001 -2017 R Wang and Insider Associates, LLC All rights reserved.
Contact the Sales team to purchase this report on a a la carte basis or join the Constellation Customer Experience