Cognitive Apps Power The Future Of Autonomous Enterprises
Cognitive applications run mission-critical business systems in a continuous, self-driving, self-learning, auto-compliant, self-securing, and self-healing approach. These AI driven systems intelligently automate transactional systems and processes such as campaign to lead, order to cash, procure to pay, incident to resolution, concept to market, and hire to retire. The goal of an autonomous enterprise is to continuously automate precision decisions at scale.
Why? Transactional applications have run their course. Pressure to reduce margins, technical debt, and investment in core systems create tremendous pressure for automation. Customers seek cognitive based approaches in order to build the foundation for AI driven precision decisions. The benefits include less staffing, reduced errors, smarter decisions, and security at scale. The quest for an autonomous enterprise starts with a desire to consider what decisions require intelligent automation vs human judgment.
Inside The Five Levels Of Autonomous Enterprises
Constellation identifies five levels of autonomous enterprises and predicts when these cognitive apps will deliver full autonomy in this $10.35B market by 2030 (see figure 1):
Figure 1. Understand Five Levels Of Autonomous Enterprises
Level 1 Autonomous Enterprise: Basic Automation
In this level, the system can provide basic task and workflow automation.
Includes: Basic process automation tools such as BPM, manual instrumentation and control, and intelligent workflow automation
Who’s in control? Humans are still in control and guide many manual steps.
Level 2 Autonomous Enterprise: Human Directed
Level 2 enables human directed automation of business processes.
When? Current state of the art
Includes: Robotic process automation, process mining tools, journey orchestration tools, machine learning algorithms, natural language processing
Who’s in control? Humans direct major decisions, minor decisions automated over time with some effort in training
Level 3 Autonomous Enterprise: Machine Intervention
Level 3 delivers automation with occasional machine intervention
When? The next big thing in 2020
Includes: Cognitive applications, neural networks, GANS models, contextual decisions, and next best actions.
Who’s driving? Humans still on standby, but can be hands-off for periods of time
Level 4 Autonomous Enterprise: Fully Autonomous
Level 4 presumes that the machines can deliver full automation but not sentience
When? Sometime in 2023
Includes: AI Driven smart services, full automation, self-learning, self-healing, and self-securing.
Who’s driving? Machines fully automated
Level 5 Autonomous Enterprise: Humans Optional
Level 5 achieves full sentience and humans may no longer be needed.
Includes: Fully autonomous sentience, empowering precision decisions at scale
Who’s driving? Humans fully optional
The Bottom Line: Expect Level 4 Autonomous Enterprises To Emerge In 2023
The pioneering work with early cognitive applications show exponential progress in achieving Level 4 status by 2023. Organizations will have to rethink how they work with their transactional applications, future data-driven digital networks, and distributed compute and storage environments.
The future is autonomous. Machines will deliver services that are continuous, auto-compliant, self-healing, self-learning, and self-aware. The need for greater precision decisions will require connections to data-driven digital networks and for more and more sources of data. This battle for public, private, and shared data will shape who wins in new networked economies that form the future of this autonomous decade (see video).
Will you be ready for the autonomous enterprises? Are you gearing up for a self-driving, self-healing, and self-sensing future? Add your comments to the blog or reach me via email: R (at) ConstellationR (dot) com or R (at) SoftwareInsider (dot) org.
Please let us know if you need help with your AI and Digital Business transformation efforts. Here’s how we can assist:
- Developing your digital business strategy
- Connecting with other pioneers
- Sharing best practices
- Vendor selection
- Implementation partner selection
- Providing contract negotiations and software licensing support
- Demystifying software licensing
Reprints can be purchased through Constellation Research, Inc. To request official reprints in PDF format, please contact Sales .
Resources And Related Research
- Personal Log: Understanding Case Fatality Rates For #COVID19 March 7, 2020
- Best Practices: Hosting Events In The Age Of #Coronavirus (COVID-19) February 9, 2020
- Research Report: Inside Constellation’s 2019 Enterprise Awards January 6, 2020
- Monday’s Musings: The Roaring 20’s and the #Futureof2020 December 23,2020
- Event Report: AI Everywhere at Dreamforce And The Rise Of Ambient Experiences #DF19 November 27, 2020
- Event Report: Customer Data Platform Takes Center Stage At Salesforce Connections 2019 #CNX19 June 19, 2019
- Event Report: FinancialForce Doubles Down On Customer-Centric ERP #FFCommLive19 May 10, 2019
- Big Idea: Extreme Capitalism And The Dawn Of Digital Duopolies May 4, 2019
- Event Report: Epicor Demonstrates New Chapter For Cloud ERP And Mid-Market Solutions at #EpicorInsights19 April 21, 2019
- Event Report: Apple Formally Launches Services Strategy #AppleEvent March 25, 2019
- Event Report: Oracle ERP Cloud Gains Traction Among Customer Base And Net New Enterprises March 21, 2019
- Event Report: #Think2019 Showcases IBM’s Shift Back From Software To Services February 13, 2019
- Event Report: #WEF19 #Davos2019 Globalization 4.0 Under Fire As Global Leaders Fail The Populace January 22, 2019
- Research Report: Improving Go-to-Market Results with Constellation’s ACF January 16, 2019
- Event Report: Retailers Navigate Exponential Tech Amidst New Business Model Shifts #NRF2019 January 16, 2019
- Trends: Constellation 2018 Enterprise Awards January 3, 2019
- Monday’s Musings: What’s Up With Big Tech Stocks? The Insider View For 2019 December 24, 2018
- Big Idea: December 10th, The Future Of The Internet And Human Rights In A Digital Age November 26, 2018
- Monday’s Musings: Want AI Ethics? Learn From These Four Movies/TV Shows! December 3, 2017
- Personal Log: What I’m Thankful For This Year November 23, 2017
- Monday’s Musing: Infinite Ambient Orchestration November 6, 2017
- Tuesday’s Tip: Know When To Automate With Artificial Intelligence September 19, 2017
- Tuesday’s Tip: Seven Universal Factors Why Technology Firms Fail January 10, 2017
- Monday’s Musings: Dynamic Leadership – A Responsive And Responsible Approach #Davos #WEF17 January 2, 2017
- Monday’s Musings: Why A Bi-Modal Approach to Digital Transformation Is Just Stupid December 12, 2016
- Monday’s Musings: Secrets Behind Building Any AI Driven Smart Service November 28, 2016
- Monday’s Musings: Understand The Spectrum Of Seven Artificial Intelligence Outcomes September 18, 2016
- Tuesday’s Tip: Seven Factors For Precision Decisions In Artificial Intelligence August 23, 2016
- Research Summary: [VIDEO] Inside Constellation’s Futurist Framework August 9, 2016
- Best Practices: Five Critical Success Factors To Digital Transformation July 10, 2016
- Monday’s Musings: The Post #BREXIT Analysis, What’s Next? June 27, 2016
- Research Summary: Workday Release 26 Beefs Up Cloud Software for Financial Management June 9, 2016
- Personal Log: Pulse Shootings And The State Of America June 12, 2016
- News Analysis: Acquisition Brings Salesforce Customers To The Commerce Party June 3, 2016
- Monday’s Musings: Data – The Foundation Of Real-Time Digital Business May 23, 2016
- Monday’s Musings: Why Digital Transformation Must Move Beyond The Hiring Of A Chief Digital Officer April 25, 2016
- Monday’s Musings: The Four Personas Of The Modern CMO In A Digital World April 11, 2016
- Event Report: Business Transformation Top Of Mind For Microsoft Envision #ENV16 Attendees April 7, 2016
- Monday’s Musings: Reflecting On Five Years Of Disrupting The Industry Analyst Business November 16, 2015
- Monday’s Musings: Avoiding Cloud Vendor Lock-In October 25, 2015
- Monday’s Musings: Dealing With The Startup Who Went Public And Is Now Arrogant As Hell October 11, 2015
- Tuesday’s Tip: IOT and The Death Of OmniChannel Non-sense In Customer Experience September 22, 2015
- Book Summary: Lesson 10 From Disrupting Digital Business – Segment By Digital Proficiency Not Age July 12, 2015
- Book Summary: Lesson 9 From Disrupting Digital Business – Deliver Intention Driven, Mass Personalization At Scale July 2, 2015
- Book Summary: Lesson 8 From Disrupting Digital Business – Democratize Distribution With P2P Networks June 22, 2015
- Webinar Invite: Delivering on Continuity – The Future of Marketing June 15, 2015
- Book Summary: Lesson 7 From Disrupting Digital Business – Humanize Digital With Digital Artisans June 14, 2015
- Book Summary: Lesson 6 From Disrupting Digital Business – Win With Network Economies June 10, 2015
Although we work closely with many mega software vendors, we want you to trust us. For the full disclosure policy,stay tuned for the full client list on the Constellation Research website. * Not responsible for any factual errors or omissions. However, happy to correct any errors upon email receipt.
Constellation Research recommends that readers consult a stock professional for their investment guidance. Investors should understand the potential conflicts of interest analysts might face. Constellation does not underwrite or own the securities of the companies the analysts cover. Analysts themselves sometimes own stocks in the companies they cover—either directly or indirectly, such as through employee stock-purchase pools in which they and their colleagues participate.
As a general matter, investors should not rely solely on an analyst’s recommendation when deciding whether to buy, hold, or sell a stock. Instead, they should also do their own research—such as reading the prospectus for new companies or for public companies, the quarterly and annual reports filed with the SEC—to confirm whether a particular investment is appropriate for them in light of their individual financial circumstances.
Copyright © 2001 – 2020 R Wang and Insider Associates, LLC All rights reserved.
Contact the Sales team to purchase this report on a a la carte basis or join the Constellation Executive Network