The Convergence of Technology, Society, And AI Ethics Is Already Among Us
Over the past year, almost every conversation on artificial intelligence involved a discussion on ethics, humanity, and policy. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. In this case, one can look to Hollywood for a few good suggestions to ponder. Four AI geek classics bring out unique points to consider in any AI ethics conversation:
1. The Matrix (1999) Shows Why Humans Are Different
The Matrix raises many philosophical points from perceptions of reality. For instance, has a general artificial intelligence fully manipulated humanity? Does morality exists in a dreamed state? As with Descartes’ meditations, what ethics apply when reality is blurred? Understanding that humanity has the capability to break the rules and create new rules drives a key design point in considering design of general artificial intelligence.
2. Assassin’s Creed (2016) Highlights The Heart Of Humanity – Free Will
Callum Lynch’s gains memories of his ancestor Aguilar de Nerha and trains as a Master Assassin before taking on the secret Templar society. The Assassins upheld the extremity of free will while the Templars represent determinism. The Templars advocate a utopian world where control and the perfection of humanity is in a state of order and discipline at the expense of free will. While the real world must balance free will and determinism, if society enables a general purpose artificial intelligence go too far and take away free will, the essence of humanity will vanquish.
3. Ghost In The Shell Addresses Security Required For Augmented Humanity, Cybernetics, And AI Convergence
Ghost in the shell shows a world where robotics, computer technology, and bio medical engineering have enabled humanity to not only control augmented prostheses and cyberbrains. Those with cyberbrains face a risk where cyberhackers can control their unwilling victims. The movie highlights the societal implications of digitization and unchecked control as human augmentation goes mainstream.
4. Person of Interest Explores The Implications Of Trading Privacy For Security, Convenience, And Order With AI
The block buster five season series explores the creation of a general purpose AI designed to protect the post 9/11 world. Thee series explores the trading of privacy for convenience, security, and order and what happens when an AI is unleashed on the world where humans are irrelevant.
The Bottom Line: There Will Be No Universal Ethics For AI But Time Is Of The Essence
Ethics reflects values humanity has placed on itself as a rules of engagement. Applying a universal set of ethics will be a fools errand. However the discussion of what contextual attributes, values, biases, and controls must be held in a public forum in order to find the right balance for humanity and machine to co-exist.
Time is of the essence. Our smartest minds must work on this soon and establish AI Ethics the same way society approached bio medical ethics.
Buy The Report Now
The rush to exponential technologies in new business models has placed artificial intelligence (AI) in the forefront of boardroom priorities for 2018. As leaders move beyond the AI hype, the journey toward AI requires both a business mindset and the institutional fortitude to invest in the building blocks for success
This report provides a framework on how to realize the path to full AI, design for infinite ambient orchestration, build any AI-driven smart service and identify when to automate with AI.
Ready to roll out your plans for AI? Do you understand the business model implications? Who will you partner with for AI? What are the ethical considerations that must be addressed? What’s your favorite show or movie htat addresses AI ethics? Add your comments to the blog or reach me via email: R (at) ConstellationR (dot) com or R (at) SoftwareInsider (dot) org.
Please let us know if you need help with your Digital Business transformation efforts. Here’s how we can assist:
- Developing your digital business strategy
- Connecting with other pioneers
- Sharing best practices
- Vendor selection
- Implementation partner selection
- Providing contract negotiations and software licensing support
- Demystifying software licensing
Reprints can be purchased through Constellation Research, Inc. To request official reprints in PDF format, please contact Sales .
Resources And Related Research
- Monday’s Musing: Infinite Ambient Orchestration November 6, 2017
Tuesday’s Tip: Know When To Automate With Artificial Intelligence September 19, 2017
- Personal Log: Congratulations To Constellation’s BT-150 Winners #BT150 September 6, 2017
- Monday’s Musings: Part 1 of 4 – What Top CMO’s Care About (Demand Gen Persona) August 28, 2017
- Research Summary: Constellation ShortList™ Integration Platform as a Service (IPaaS) August 13, 2017
- Research Summary: Constellation ShortList™ Synchronous Ledger and Blockchain Platforms August 13, 2017
- Research Summary: The Future of Customer Experience (CX) is Orchestrated Engagement June 15, 2017
- Research Summary: Nine Starting Points For Digital Transformation In Manufacturing May 10, 2017
- Research Summary: Artificial Intelligence Delivers Mass Personalization In Commerce April 17, 2017
- Event Report: #GoogleNext17 On Path To Enterprise Ready March 9, 2017
- Tuesday’s Tip: Seven Universal Factors Why Technology Firms Fail January 10, 2017
- Monday’s Musings: Dynamic Leadership – A Responsive And Responsible Approach #Davos17 #WEF
- News Analysis: In Search Of Growth Amidst Digital Disruption
- Event Report: The Weekend Before Davos And The Dawn Of The Fourth Industrial Revolution
- Event Report: The @Wipro @FT Dinner, Man vs Machine, Does It Have To Be Either/Or? #Davos2016 #WEF #WEFTalks
- Event Report: The Future Of Jobs From #Davos16 #WEF
- Event Report: The Transformation of Finance #Davos16 #WEF
- Event Report: A New Platform For The Digital Economy #Davos16 #WEF
- Monday’s Musings: Secrets Behind Building Any AI Driven Smart Service November 28, 2016
- Trends: Five Data Center Trends For 2017 November 12, 2016
- News Analysis: America In An @RealDonaldTrump Era – Everything International Clients Need To Know PESTEL Part 1. November 10, 2016
- Research Summary: Constellation’s AstroChart For Business Trends, Q4 2016 October 18, 2016
- Research Summary: Constellation’s AstroChart For Tech Trends October 17, 2016
- Monday’s Musings: Secrets Behind Building Any AI Driven Smart Service
- Monday’s Musings: Understand The Spectrum Of Seven Artificial Intelligence Outcomes
- Tuesday’s Tip: Seven Factors For Precision Decisions In Artificial Intelligence
- Monday’s Musings: Data – The Foundation Of Real-Time Digital Business
- ‘Monday’s Musings: Who Gets To Be A Chief Digital Officer?
- Monday’s Musings: CXOs Seek Enterprise-Grade Mobile Solutions Despite Seven Barriers August 16, 2016
- Research Summary: [VIDEO] Inside Constellation’s Futurist Framework August 9, 2016
- Best Practices: Five Critical Success Factors To Digital Transformation July 10, 2016
- Monday’s Musings: The Post #BREXIT Analysis, What’s Next? June 27, 2016
- Monday’s Musings: Data – The Foundation Of Real-Time Digital Business May 23, 2016
- Research Summary: The Algorithm of You – How IoT Transforms and Differentiates Customer Experience May 12, 2016
- Research Summary: HOLMES Puts Wipro in the Forefront of Cognitive Computing May 10, 2016
- Research Summary: Why Live Engagement Marketing Supercharges Event Marketing May 6, 2016
- Monday’s Musings: Why Digital Transformation Must Move Beyond The Hiring Of A Chief Digital Officer April 25, 2016
- Monday’s Musings: The Four Personas Of The Modern CMO In A Digital World April 11, 2016
- Monday’s Musings: The Seven Rules For Digital Business And Digital Transformation
- Tuesday’s Tip: Five Steps To Starting Your Digital Transformation Initiative
- Monday’s Musings: What Organizations Want From Mobile
- Research Summary: Economic Trends Exacerbate Digital Business Disruption And Digital Transformation (The Futurist Framework Part 3)
- Research Summary: Five Societal Shifts Showcase The Digital Divide Ahead (The Futurist Framework Part 2)
- Research Summary: Sneak Peaks From Constellation’s Futurist Framework And 2014 Outlook On Digital Disruption
- Research Report: Digital ARTISANs – The Seven Building Blocks Behind Building A Digital Business DNA
- Research Summary: Next Generation CIOs Aspire To Focus More On Innovation And The Chief Digital Officer Role
- Trends: [VIDEO] The Digital Business Disruption Ahead Preview – NASSCOM India Leadership Forum (#NASSCOM_ILF)
- Harvard Business Review: What a Big Data Business Model Looks Like
- Monday’s Musings: How The Five Consumer Tech Macro Pillars Influence Enterprise Software Innovation
- Tuesday’s Tip: Understand The Five Generation Of Digital Workers And Customers
- Monday’s Musings: The Chief Digital Officer In The Age Of Digital Business
- Slide Share: The CMO vs CIO – Pathways To Collaboration
- Research Summary And Speaker Notes: The Identity Manifesto – Why Identity Is At The Heart of Digital Business
Although we work closely with many mega software vendors, we want you to trust us. For the full disclosure policy,stay tuned for the full client list on the Constellation Research website. * Not responsible for any factual errors or omissions. However, happy to correct any errors upon email receipt.
Copyright © 2001 – 2017 R Wang and Insider Associates, LLC All rights reserved.
Contact the Sales team to purchase this report on a a la carte basis or join the Constellation Executive Network